Council tax explanatory notes - 2018/19

People with disabilities

If you, or someone who lives with you needs a room, an extra bathroom or kitchen, extra space for a wheelchair to be used indoors you may be entitled to a reduced Council Tax bill. The bill may be reduced to that of a property in the band immediately below the band of your property. If your home is in band A, you may still be entitled to a reduction even though there is no lower band in the valuation list. These reductions ensure disabled people do not pay more tax because of space needed due to a disability.


The full Council Tax is based on 2 adults living in a property. If only 1 adult lives in the property the Council Tax may be reduced by 25%.

The following people do not count when deciding how many people live in your home:

  • Full time students, student nurses, apprentices and YT trainees (evidence of undertaking a full time course will be required)
  • Non-British spouses of students
  • People living permanently in Care Homes or Hospitals
  • People who are severely mentally impaired
  • People in hostels for the homeless or night shelters
  • 18 and 19 year olds who are at or have just left school or college, or in respect of whom child benefit is payable
  • Care workers working for low pay (usually charities)
  • People caring for someone with a disability who is not their spouse, partner or child under 18
  • Members (and dependants) of International headquarters and Defence organisations
  • Members (and Dependants) of visiting forces
  • People with diplomatic privilege or immunity
  • Members of religious communities
  • People in prison (unless this is for not paying Council Tax or a fine)

Discounts for annexes

  • Annexes occupied by non-dependant relatives are subject to a 50% discount.
  • Annexes being used as part of the main residence are subject to a 50% discount

A discount is no longer given for a property that requires or is undergoing major repair work to render it habitable, or is undergoing structural alteration.

Unoccupied properties no longer receive a discount from the date furniture is removed.

For properties which have been empty for more than 2 years and currently pay the full charge, a premium of 50% will be payable in addition.

Exempt properties

Occupied properties are exempt in the following cases:

  • Halls of residence for students, dwellings occupied by students, school or college leavers or certain spouses or dependants of students
  • Armed forces accommodation (UK forces)
  • Members (and dependants) of visiting forces
  • Dwellings occupied only by persons under 18
  • Dwellings occupied by the severely mentally impaired
  • Dwellings which are the main residence of a person with diplomatic privilege or immunity
  • Occupied annexes (dependant relative)

Unoccupied properties are exempt in the following cases:

  • Properties owned by charities and used for charitable purposes (maximum of 6 months) – an application form will need to be completed for each property
  • Caravan pitches and moorings for boats
  • The person who was liable for the Council Tax has died
  • Occupation is prohibited by law
  • The dwelling is held for a minister of religion
  • Left unoccupied by a student
  • In possession of the mortgagee
  • Left empty by a bankrupt
  • An unoccupied annexe to an occupied dwelling, where the annexe cannot be let separately without breach of planning
  • Left empty by a person living in a hospital, hostel or care home
  • Left empty by a person needing personal care
  • Left empty by a person providing personal care

The information provided gives a brief description of discounts and exemptions available. For full information, please our discounts and reductions page or email

Changes in circumstances

Please contact Maidstone Borough Council immediately if your circumstances change. Someone leaving or joining your household or reaching their 18th birthday may affect any discounts you receive. You will need to advise the council of any discount you think you may be entitled to.

If you do not tell us about changes, you may have to pay a PENALTY OF £70.

If you have applied for Council Tax Support because you are on a low income and the amount you have been awarded does not meet your full Council Tax liability, you may be entitled to further assistance under Section 13A of the Council Tax regulations if you are experiencing exceptional hardship. If you wish to apply for assistance, please download a form from

If you believe you are not liable for the Council Tax, or a discount should have been awarded, please contact who will review your case.

In both of the circumstances above, the council will advise you how to appeal further if you are not satisfied with the outcome.

A detailed leaflet of how your Council Tax is calculated and how the Council Tax collected is distributed and  spent, can be found at

How to contact us

You can contact us by email at

To receive your council tax bill electronically rather than a paper version, visit and sign up for paperless bills.

How to pay

12 monthly payments

If you wish to pay your bill over 12 monthly instalments and don’t already do so, please email

Direct Debit

If you would like to set up a Direct Debit, you can pay on either the 7th or 27th of each month. Please go to

Via the bank – Lloyds TSB

Sort code: 30-00-00

Account number: 02390027.

Please quote your Council Tax account reference number.

Debit card/credit card

Please call the dedicated telephone number 01622 602544. This is a 24hr automated payment system

Via the council’s website

Go to

Post Office

You can pay using the barcode on your Council Tax bill at any Post Office. Please note the Post Office will charge £2.60 per transaction.

Our A-Z

If you cannot find what you are looking for in our search facility, you can use our A-Z index to find the service you require.