Council Tax Support

Applying for Council Tax Support

To apply for Council Tax Support you will need to complete our online form using the link below.

Apply for Council Tax Support online

If you have any problems with completing the online form, please contact us on 01622 602557.

If you're an owner occupier making a new claim for Jobseekers Allowance, Income Support or Employment and Support Allowance through the Jobcentre, they may not pass your details to us to make a claim for Council Tax Support. You do need to make a separate claim.

If you're renting a property you may have to claim your rent costs from the Department for Work and Pensions as part of your Universal Credit application through the Jobcentre, they will take all the details and pass them on to us. This means that you won't need to make a separate claim for Council Tax Support

    Council Tax support will help to pay your Council Tax bill if you're on a low income. It is different to any discount or exemption.

    From 1 April 2013 Council Tax Benefit was abolished and was replaced by our Council Tax Support scheme. Each local authority will have their own scheme. When Council Tax Support has been worked out, you'll get a revised Council Tax bill that will tell you what you need to pay.

    The main details of the scheme are as follows:

    Proposed ChangesDecision
    Maximum Council Tax Support 80%
    Family Premium Not offered for new claims from 1 April 2017
    Work Related Activity Component of Employment Support Allowance Removed from applicable amount from 1 April 2017
    Personal allowance for each child limited to two children For new claims from 1 April 2017
    Temporary absence outside of Great Britain Four weeks
    Non dependent deductions Various rates depending on the circumstances

    Who is eligible for Council Tax Support?


    To get Council Tax Support, you must:

    • Be on a low income
    • Be the person responsible for paying Council Tax

    You will not normally qualify for benefit if you have savings or investments of more than £16,000. You may have more savings than this and still get Council Tax Support if you or your partner get the guaranteed part of Pension Credit.

    Use our Benefit Calculator to see what help you can get.

    Evidence Required


    We need to see the documents that prove you need benefit before we can pay you. They can either be originals or copies.

    You can send them to us using our online form or by post to:

    Maidstone House
    King Street
    ME15 6JQ

    Evidence you need to provide

    • National Insurance numbers for you and your partner. Your partner needs to be someone you’re married to or living with as though you’re married.
    • Identity for you and your partner. For example a passport or driving licence.
    • Capital, savings and investments, including all bank and building society current and savings accounts.
    • Earnings of everyone living with you, including your partner and anyone else over 18.
    • Any other income.
    • Benefits, allowances or pensions.
    • Private rent and tenancy/recent mortgage statement or utility bill if you own your own home.

    If you don't have all the evidence you can send the form in first and then send the rest of the evidence later. We need to have all the evidence within a month, but your claim will start from the first day we receive your application form.

    If you don’t get the evidence to us within a month we may not be able to pay you any Council Tax Support. Just tell us if you’re having problems getting your evidence together and we can help. Email or call 01622 602557.

    Make an Appeal


    If you're not satisfied with our decision on your Council Tax Support, or how we have explained our decision, you can ask that we reconsider our decision.

    Send your request in writing to:

    Maidstone House
    King Street
    ME15 6JQ

    You need to make it clear which decision you are asking us to reconsider and your reasons why. You need to do this within a month of the decision you are appealing against.

    We will write to confirm or amend our original decision.

    If you still don't agree with our decision you can send an appeal to the Valuation Tribunal Service, who will consider your case independently.

    Council Tax Reduction Team
    First Floor
    Hepworth House
    2 Trafford Court
    DN1 1PN

    Telephone: 0300 123 1033
    Fax: 01302 321447




    An overpayment happens when we pay Council Tax Support which you weren’t entitled to. If we have paid too much Council Tax Support you will receive a new Council Tax bill which will tell you how much you need to pay.

    You need to tell us of any changes in your circumstances, to prevent any overpayments. This is your responsibility – do not rely on anyone else such as the Jobcentre Plus, the Department for Work and Pensions or the Pension Service.

    If a change does cause an overpayment we will send you a letter giving you the full details of the overpayment. The letter will tell you why the overpayment happened, the amount you were overpaid and the period of the overpayment. It will also tell you whether we intend to recover the overpayment and what to do if you disagree with the overpayment.

    How is the overpayment paid back?

    If we have paid you too much Council Tax Support you will be sent a revised bill which will tell you how much you need to pay back. You will be able to pay online, by calling our automated payments line on 01622 602544 and choosing option 5 or by visiting the Maidstone Link.

    Second Adult Rebate


    Second Adult Rebate is for single people who have to pay Council Tax and who have other adults (over the age of 18) on a low income living in the house who can't afford to help pay the Council Tax bill.

    We only need to know the income and capital for the second adult(s). Please supply the following original evidence:

    • Capital, savings and investments, including all bank and building society current and savings accounts.
    • Earnings
    • Any other income
    • Benefits, allowances or pensions.

    You can send your proofs in the post to:

    Maidstone House
    King Street
    ME15 6JQ

    Our A-Z

    If you cannot find what you are looking for in our search facility, you can use our A-Z index to find the service you require.